Saturday, May 5, 2012

Justification

Remember when I said that I have a fear/dislike of birds?

I don't per se hate all birds, but I really don't like pigeons and just any birds that cross my path on a daily basis. (Ugh, just thinking about pigeons brings a chill down my back.) I walk around birds, and a little yelp escapes my mouth when they all of a sudden decide to flutter past me, in front of me, over me, etc.

While traveling, I've come across my fair share of pigeons, and my travel companions would always ask why I had this weird distaste for birds?  There are several different reasons, but nonetheless, I've been trying to get better about my dislike of pigeons slash birds I come into contact on daily basis.  But as of yesterday, I have (more) legitimate fear/dislike of them.

First, let me start by saying, thank goodness it was NOT a pigeon. I may have cried. (I'm not even kidding.)

Second, this experience is not only a legitimization, but also a small wake-up call for myself showing me that such things don't only happen to random strangers. It can and does happen to me.

Yesterday I was grabbing a small meal at El Mercado de San Miguel which is basically a little glass box with lots of different stands that serve tapas and pinchos. After eating paella among several other things, we were my the frozen yogurt stand getting dessert.  I see these little birds inside the market (you know, the little brown ones...sparrows, maybe?), and I think, that's just gross. They shouldn't be in here.

The next thing I know, I feel a little plop on my hair as one flies over us, and I knew the unthinkable happened.

My first thought was, did the bird somehow touch me?! And then my next thought was, POOP??!?

I frantically ask my friend Lena* to see if there was a little "present" from our lovely friend, birdie, and she reluctantly says there is.  Rest assure, it was small (at least, according to my friend) and was only on a small strand of hair, but unpleasant nonetheless. With some napkins and water, we were able to take care of the situation, but I still feel like I shouldn't touch my hair even though I took a shower!

I always heard stories about people getting pooped on, but never did I think it would happen to me. Well, what do you know. ANGELA GOT POOPED ON. Lovely.

Anyways, I don't like them.  And that's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment