Saturday, April 21, 2012

My perfect day in Paris

Remember how I said Sunday (the Sunday before Easter AKA Palm Sunday) was the most perfect day anyone could have asked for?

Well, I am here to elaborate.
The morning started off wonderfully.  The sun was shinning (a luxury we weren't expecting), my best friend Jo* and I got ready to meet our other friends for a Sunday brunch in the Gare de l'Est neighborhood. (See map for reference.)


But naturally, knowing us, we were running behind, and by the time we got there, it was around 10:45, a whopping 15 minutes late! 

Anyways, it wasn't that big of a deal because our other friends had gotten there only 5 minutes before us, and also the place that we wanted to have brunch at had a two-hour wait.  Thanks, but no thanks.  So we started wandering, and eventually we stumbled upon this cute little place that served brunch for 16€.  Quite a pricey brunch in my standards, but 1) I wasn't going to be a party pooper, 2) I would treat it as two meals, and 3) it's Paris. 

I must say, the meal did not disappoint! We got coffee, freshly squeezed orange juice, quiche, vegetables, goat cheese with apple compote, smoked salmon, bread, a dessert yogurt, etc. etc.

After brunch, Jo and I split from the rest of the group because we wanted to try and rent bikes for the afternoon. 

Paris has the Vélib' bikes all around the city, but it's a little complicated for foreigners, or non-EU residents in general, so we ended up with Bike About Tours.  The guy working there was so nice, and let us borrow the bikes for 10€ for the rest of the day, and Jo and I went wild.  If anyone is going to Paris, I highly recommend biking around--especially on Sundays. 

On Sundays (and possibly other days of the week), the city closes part of the road by the Seine River so that pedestrians, bikers, runners, skateboarders, all alike can enjoy smooth pavement by the river. :) 

Jo and I biked for four hours, and I got to see so much of Paris, it was wonderful.  We went by the Eiffel Tower, and then made our way to Champs Elysees where the Arc de Triomphe is, got macaroons at Laduree, biked around a little more, and by the time we returned the bikes, it was 7.  It was seriously SO MUCH FUN! 

The sun was shinning, the wind was blowing, and most importantly, we didn't die during the two times we had to go on to the actual road to bike. (Jo tells me she was scared for my life at one point when a bus came up behind me and I was furiously peddling, trying not to get hit. Haha)

Afterwards, we walked across the river, and got crepes for dinner, followed by coffee and Hunger Games!!  (A little side note about the movie: I really enjoyed the books when they first came out, and usually I'm sorely disappointed by the movie versions of the books, but with Hunger Games, I think they did a pretty good job. I really enjoyed it. :)

And so, this is why April 1st, 2012 was the perfect day. EVER. 






No comments:

Post a Comment